Trevor J Francis

Chartered Building Surveyor in London

Phone Number: 020 7112 4891

Mobile Number: 07974 114 702

Office Number: 020 7112 4891

Party Wall Surveyor

If you are a building owner or adjoining owner, you can get advice from one of our professional surveyors Located in central London. Trevor J Francis comprises of Chartered Surveyors seasoned in issues affecting the Party Wall Matters and Party Wall etc Act 1996.

Does the Party Wall Act affect me?

Are you planning on:

  • Excavating in the proximity of a building or structure?
  • Constructing at or on the boundary with another property?
  • Work on any existing ceiling, wall or floor shared with another structure?

If you are, you have to find out if the work you are planning is under the scope of the Act. If it is, then you must notify all those that the Act defines to be "adjoining owners". Failure to serve the relevant notices can make your project illegal.

neighbours discussing new building works

When do you need to serve a Party Wall Notice?

If you are planning on carrying out any work involving the party wall or excavating close to the party wall, or within 3 to 6 metres, then you will normally have to notify your neighbour with a party wall notice. For any home projects, you can get a party wall award if you are:

  • Digging foundations for an extension
  • Installing damp proof courses
  • Demolishing internal walls requiring structural support from the party wall
  • Converting or extending your loft

Do I need a Party Wall Surveyor?

The response to this question is not direct and relies on how complex your project is concerning the wall, and the cooperation you get from your neighbour. The best way to get a straight answer is through the following steps:

new modern home

Serve Notice
You must serve your neighbour with a notice that could be through a letter written on a standard form document. You should also enclose a reply letter as well as an envelope to facilitate your neighbour on sending the response after signing. Letting your neighbour know beforehand that they will be getting a notice is helpful to avoid the element of surprise. Besides, you can use the opportunity to assure them that your work will not negatively affect them.

Neighbour's Reply
You should give your neighbour 14 days to respond to your notice.

Choosing your Party Wall Surveyor
You and your neighbour can decide to pick one party wall surveyor to serve both of you. The surveyor should be impartial and act only on the interest of the wall. If this unfortunately escalates into a dispute, you can each have a surveyor to act in your interest. However, you will have to cater for both surveyors who will make it an expensive option on your part.